Arlington Adult Education, a program of Arlington Public Schools, is sponsoring three cycling skills and bicycle maintenance courses taught by Allen Muchnick, a traffic cycling instructor certified by the League of American Bicyclists. Unless noted otherwise, all classes meet on weekday evenings from 6:30-9:30 PM at the Arlington Career Center, 816 S Walter Reed Dr, Arlington VA 22204.
The three courses are:
* Smart Cycling--Traffic Skills 101, the essential, comprehensive, and very practical 9-hour cycling skills course for *all* bicyclists;
* Bicycle Maintenance & Repair, a 3-hour lecture and demonstration; and
* Bicycle Mechanics Workshop, a 3-hour hands-on sequel to either course listed above.
TO REGISTER, enroll with Arlington Adult Education (703-228-7200) IN ADVANCE. To view and sign up for all bicycling classes, go to [ http://tinyurl.com/2dv57s ] .
For questions about the instruction, contact the instructor, Allen Muchnick at allenmuchnick at yahoo dot com or
SMART CYCLING--TRAFFIC SKILLS 101 (CYCLING WITH CONFIDENCE). Classroom and on-bike instruction in bicycling best practices for roads, paths, and groups. Learn equipment use and care, breakdown repairs, efficient pedaling, bike handling, training, vehicular (street) cycling, and crash prevention. Nine hours over two sessions. Bike and helmet REQUIRED for the second class session only. $85 residents/$109 non-residents, seniors $65/$85:
* 11FGI816A: Tu, Oct 18, 6:30-9:30 PM, Arlington Career Ctr and Sa, Oct 22, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM, Clarendon Education Center.
* * *
BICYCLE MAINTENANCE & REPAIR. Lecture/demonstration on bike fit, breakdown repairs, and the inspection, adjustment, lubrication, and renovation of diverse components. Bike not required. One 3-hour session. $45 residents/$55 non-residents, seniors $35/$45:
* 11FGI813A: Tu, Sept 13, 6:30-9:30 PM, Arlington Career Ctr
* 11FGI813B: W, Oct 5, 6:30-9:30 PM, Arlington Career Ctr
* 11FGI813C: W, Nov 2, 6:30-9:30 PM, Arlington Career Ctr
* * *
BICYCLE MECHANICS WORKSHOP. This self-directed, hands-on sequel to any other bicycle class lets you tune up, fix, or modify your bicycle or practice inspection, maintenance, or repair procedures. Bring bike(s), supplies, and inspiration. One 3-hour session. $39 residents/$50 non-residents, seniors $29/$39:
* 11FGI814A: Tu, Sept 20, 6:30-9:30 PM, Arlington Career Ctr
* 11FGI814B: W, Oct 12, 6:30-9:30 PM, Arlington Career Ctr
* 11FGI814C: W, Nov 9, 6:30-9:30 PM, Arlington Career Ctr