Sunday, November 27, 2011
Winter/Spring 2012 Bicycling Classes in Fairfax County
Fairfax County Adult & Community Education, a program of Fairfax County Public Schools, is sponsoring four cycling skills and bicycle maintenance courses taught by Allen Muchnick, a traffic cycling instructor certified by the League of American Bicyclists. Except for those classes with Saturday sessions, classes meet on weekday evenings from 6:30-9:30 PM.
The four courses are:
* Bicycling 101--equipment, maintenance, and safety basics for new and intermediate riders.
* Smart Cycling--Traffic Skills 101 (Cycling with Confidence), the essential, comprehensive, and very practical 9-hour cycling skills course for *all* bicyclists;
* Bicycle Maintenance & Repair, a 3-hour lecture and demonstration; and
* Bicycle Mechanics Workshop, a 3-hour hands-on sequel to either course listed above.
TO REGISTER, enroll with Fairfax County Adult & Community Education (703-658-1201 [or 703-658-1225] in ADVANCE . For questions about the instruction, contact the instructor, Allen Muchnick, at allenmuchnick AT yahoo DOT com or 703-271-0895.
BICYCLING 101. New and intermediate riders learn safety, equipment, and maintenance basics; self sufficiency; use of gears; comfort and improvement tips. No riding. One three-hour session, $49 ($36.75 for resident seniors).
* TI05299-10: M, Mar 19, 6:30-9:30 PM, Pimmit Hills Center
* TI05299-11, Tu, Apr 24, 6:30-9:30 PM, Plum Center
SMART CYCLING--TRAFFIC SKILLS 101 (CYCLING WITH CONFIDENCE!). Learn the craft of cycling with on-bike and classroom instruction in key cycling skills and best practices for roads, paths, and groups: equipment use and care, breakdown repairs, efficient pedaling, bike handling, training, vehicular (street) cycling, and crash prevention. Nine hours over two sessions, $125 ($96.25 for resident seniors). Bike and helmet REQUIRED at the second class session which meets on a Saturday.
* TI05302-10: Thursday, April 26, 6:30-9:30 PM plus Saturday, April 28, 9 AM-4 PM, Plum Center
* * *
BICYCLE MAINTENANCE & REPAIR. Lecture/demonstration on bike fit, breakdown repairs, and the inspection, adjustment, lubrication, and renovation of diverse components. Bike not required. One 3-hour session, $48 ($36 for resident seniors), plus $17 for optional "$25" textbook:
* TI05300-10: Saturday, Feb 11, 9:00 AM-12:30 PM, Fairfax High School
* TI05300-11, W, Mar 14, 6:30-9:30 PM, Plum Center
* TI05300-13, W, Apr 11, 6:30-9:30 PM, Pimmit Hills Center
* * *
BICYCLE MECHANICS WORKSHOP. This self-directed, hands-on sequel to any of the above bicycle classes lets you tune up, fix, or modify your bicycle or practice inspection, maintenance, or repair procedures. Bring bike(s), supplies, and inspiration. One 3-hour session., $55 ($41.25 for resident seniors).
* TI05301-13: Saturday, Feb 25, 9:00 AM-12:00 PM, Fairfax High School
* TI05301-10: W, Mar 28, 6:30-9:30 PM, Pimmit Hills Center
* TI05301-11: W, Apr 25, 6:30-9:30 PM, Plum Center